Ryan & Smith | Antique Fireplaces Ireland

Georgian Fireplace -18030

An outstanding and very large 18th century neo-classical statuary marble chimneypiece. Originally from Eglinton Castle, Scotland, designed by John Paterson

The jambs with twin fluted ionic columns, support carved blockings of putti holding Roman theatre masks. The centre plaque carved in high relief with the scene Nuptiales Choreae, the Wedding Chorus being sung by five beautiful dancing ladies. The source for this scene is taken from Admiranda Romanarum Antiquitatum of 1693 by Pietro Santi Bartolis.

The son of an architect and builder, John Paterson became a pupil of Robert Adam and served as his ‘Clerk of Works’. He later became a competent architect in his own right, working on many buildings including Pinkie House, Winton House, Kilwinning and Eglinton Castle.

Eglinton Castle is situated in North Ayrshire. It was built in 1796 for Hugh Montgomerie, the 12th Earl of Eglinton, a member of the Seton family. The castle was abandoned in 1925, de-roofed in 1926 and the building became seriously damaged during the Second World War.

 

Circa 1796

Make Enquiry
Measurements:

Width: 116" (2946mm)

Height: 76" (1930mm)

Depth: 12" (305mm)

Internal Measurements:

Width: 62" (1575mm)

Height: 54" (1372mm)

Price: £ POA

Product Code: 18030

Neoclassical Make Enquiry

Georgian Fireplace -18030

Georgian Fireplace -18030

Product Code: 18030

An outstanding and very large 18th century neo-classical statuary marble chimneypiece. Originally from Eglinton Castle, Scotland, designed by John Paterson

The jambs with twin fluted ionic columns, support carved blockings of putti holding Roman theatre masks. The centre plaque carved in high relief with the scene Nuptiales Choreae, the Wedding Chorus being sung by five beautiful dancing ladies. The source for this scene is taken from Admiranda Romanarum Antiquitatum of 1693 by Pietro Santi Bartolis.

The son of an architect and builder, John Paterson became a pupil of Robert Adam and served as his ‘Clerk of Works’. He later became a competent architect in his own right, working on many buildings including Pinkie House, Winton House, Kilwinning and Eglinton Castle.

Eglinton Castle is situated in North Ayrshire. It was built in 1796 for Hugh Montgomerie, the 12th Earl of Eglinton, a member of the Seton family. The castle was abandoned in 1925, de-roofed in 1926 and the building became seriously damaged during the Second World War.

 

Circa 1796

Make Enquiry